League of Legends Practice Tool – How to Improve Your Game
Ever since the dawn of League of Legends, many players have been begging for a League of Legends practice tool that allows them to practice specific scenarios without having to endure a full game.
For many years players were left with either playing bot games or making another account in order to test champions spells and abilities on the other.
However, the start of 2017 has brought many big changes to League of Legends including the long-awaited practice tool.
Also known as sandbox mode, the tool allows players to practice last hitting minions, champion mechanics and combos, map familiarity and item build DPS checks. Although it was possible to do this before the introduction of the practice tool, the new tool definitely speeds things up.
If you’ve ever wanted to know what playing Veigar with 10,000 AP is like, well now you can find out.
So just how do you get the practice tool in LoL and how do you use it? Well we’re here to tell you everything you need to know!
League of Legends Practice Tool Release Date
The League of Legends practice tool was officially released in North America on 15th February 2017 after spending weeks on the League of Legends PBE beta client. Having been rumoured for several months prior to this, it was no surprise to fans with many of them marking the important release date on their calendar.
What is The League of Legends Practice Tool?
As you may have guessed by now, the whole point of the practice tool is to help you practice. Maybe you want to brush up on your last hitting or champion mechanics? The practice tool makes this possible without having to waste hours in custom games. Think of it like a gym where you can shoot hoops and practice your shots!
Although the League of Legends practice tool can be used to practice pretty much anything, Riot have specifically developed it to focus on certain areas, these being:
- Champion mechanics and combos
- Jungling practice
- Endless last hitting at any level
- Map exploration and familiarity
- Item build testing
The tool is pretty much for anyone who wants to improve their LoL skills. Maybe you want to warm up and practice your last hitting before jumping into a ranked match, or maybe you just suck at last hitting period. Whatever the reason, like all aspects in life, if you want to get better at something, then you need to practice.
How to Use the League of Legends Practice Tool
The first thing to do is open the new League of Legends client, if you have the old one then it won’t be available. Once you’re on the main screen, you simply head over to training and press the practice tool.
Once you’ve selected the champion you want to play, the game will look just like any other. The announcer will countdown, and the minions will spawn, the major difference here is there will be a huge toolbar on the left-hand side of your screen that will have plenty of different options to choose from.
All the options link into the points covered before which are the main aims of the practice tool, of course in the future it’s likely Riot will introduce new features as requested but for now this is what you’re stuck with.
The full list of the League of Legends practice tool commands are:
- Auto-refresh cooldowns
- Auto-refresh HP
- Auto-refresh mana (also includes rage, energy)
- Add gold
- Level up
- Lock levels (stops levelling up)
- Teleport to target
- Enable/Disable invulnerability on turrets
- Disable/enable turret fire
- Disable/enable minions
- Fast forward game time 30 seconds
- Reset game
- Spawn enemy target dummy
- Spawn allied target dummy
- Remove all spawned target dummies
- Respawn jungle
- Spawn Dragon
As you can see, there are plenty of options available that can be used to help create a wide range of scenarios. From endless last hitting to practicing the jungle clear route, the possibilities are literally endless. So, what are some good scenarios you can practice doing?
Practice Tool Scenarios
Endless Last Hitting at Any Level
Once you have started the League of Legends practice tool and selected the champion you want to play you will appear in game. Next you will want to use some of the buttons on the left-hand side of the screen to setup this scenario.
- Buy your starting items
- First, enable invulnerable turrets as this will prevent minions from destroying either towers and thus battling each other forever
- Lock your level to make sure you don’t accidently level up over time. If you want to pick a different level than level 1 then make sure you use the level up tool and lock in your chosen level.
- Teleport or walk to lane (let’s be honest, who wants to walk there?)
- Fast forward the game to get the minions in the lane and fighting each other, why bother waiting?
- Practice endless hitting until you’ve mastered it! Or get bored…
Practicing the Jungle Route
If you’ve never played jungle before and have no idea what you are doing, then this scenario is for you. Pick whatever jungle champion you want to practice with and jump into the game.
- After buying your starting items teleport to your starting camp (golems, wolves, red, blue etc)
- Fast forward the game 60 seconds until the camps spawn
- Practice your planned jungle route to see how fast and efficient it is
- If anything goes wrong or you just want to start from the beginning press “Reset Game” and immediately jump into the action with no loading
- If you want to just practice the same camp over and over again then make sure to use the “Respawn Jungle” button so you don’t have to wait for them to respawn manually.
As you can see the scenarios you make up are pretty much only limited to your imagination. Some other scenarios you could think up would be:
- Practicing flashing over terrain
- Ward placement
- Testing item builds
- Taking down towers as fast as possible
- Practicing your Thresh hook
- Soloing Dragon
- Practice DPS on target dummies
With all the tools and options available in the practice tool, these scenarios are definitely possible. If you keep playing around with the tools, you’ll think of new ways you can improve your League of Legends skills, and you’ll be climbing to Diamond in no time!
Be sure to keep an eye out for any new updates or features being added to the League of Legends practice tool over the following months. As more and more players start to use the tool, new features will be added.